Open for business January 2014
Local Land Services, managed by local people on local Boards, brings together a wealth of technical and advisory knowledge from Livestock Health and Pest Authorities, Catchment Management Authorities, and some agricultural advisory services from the Department of Primary Industries into a new grass roots model for regional service delivery.
Local people, local services
Eleven LLS regions, managed by 11 local boards cover NSW: Central Tablelands, Central West, Greater Sydney, Hunter, Murray, North Coast, Northern Tablelands, North West, Riverina, South East and Western regions.
Each region is accountable for delivering services that add value to local industries, enhance natural resources, protect industries from pests and disease and help communities respond to emergencies like flood, fire and drought.
Local Boards headed by local Chairs work closely with farmers, landholders and communities. Each region will develop operational management plans that will prioritise service delivery on a regional basis, reflecting regional priorities.
All the local Chairs together form the LLS Board of Chairs. The LLS Board of Chairs is led by the LLS Chair of the Board of Chairs, John Macarthur-Stanham.
Local Land Services Boards are accountable for
- administering and delivering local land services
- developing and implementing appropriate governance arrangements for the delivery of local land services
- preparing a State Strategic Plan and Local Strategic Plans
- providing and facilitating education and training in connection with agricultural production, bio-security, natural resource management and emergency management
- making and managing levy rates, levies and contributions on rateable and other land
- providing and administering grants, loans, subsidies or other financial assistance for local land services
- communicating, consulting and engaging with the community, including the Aboriginal community, to encourage participation in the delivery of local land services.
For more general information about this new service see their website: http://www.lls.nsw.gov.au/
For the Central Tablelands Local Land Services Region go to: http://centraltablelands.lls.nsw.gov.au/