To prevent the Lithgow fire from impacting on the Hartley valley as the winds change back to the NW on Sunday and Monday, the RFS will be backburning the northern escarpment of the valley from Brown’s Gap Road through Clarence to Reedy Gully from this evening (Friday 18th October).
Over the next couple of days the back burn will continue up through Lawsons Long Valley.
For more information on these and the progress of the fires keep in touch through the rfs website. www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Be sure to have your Bush Fire Survival Plan up to date and know what to do if the fires impact on your area.
From the RFS Website
Watch and Act – State Mine Fire (Lithgow and Blue Mountains) 18/10/13 18:42
A large bush fire is burning between Lithgow and Bilpin.
The fire has burnt over a large area from near Lithgow towards Bilpin and Mountain Lagoon. The fast moving fire has burnt through more than 27,600 hectares.
Fire is burning on both sides of Mount Irvine Road. Back burning operations will continue into the evening.
A number of properties have been reported destroyed in this fire.
The Great Western Highway has been reopened between Mount York Road and Coxs River Road at Mount Victoria.
Clarence and Dargan residents are now allowed to return to their homes.
A community meeting will be held in the Mountain Lagoon RFB on Sams Way Mountain Lagoon at 1100hrs Saturday 19 October.
Follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan. If you do not have a Bush Fire Survival Plan, ensure you know what you will do if the fire threatens your property.
Evacuation centres – Open
- Lithgow Workers Club – 3 Tank Street, Lithgow
- Springwood Sports Centre – 83 Macquarie Road, Springwood
- Blackheath Community Centre – Great Wester Highway, Blackheath
Evacuation centres – Closed
- Bilpin Community Centre – 2596 Bells Line of Road, Bilpin
Due to bush fire activity there are numerous road closures. Please also be aware that road closures may occur without notice. These closures will continue to be assessed across the day, however, there is no forecast as to when these roads will reopen. Motorists are urged to avoid all bushfire affected areas.
For the latest traffic information, visit www.livetraffic.com or call 132 701.
Public Transport Closures
For the latest public transport information visit 131500.com.au or call 131 500.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
- Continue to stay up to date with the bush fire situation by checking www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- If you live in the area but are away from home, it may not be safe to return to your property.
- If you are concerned about the welfare of family and friends, please contact the Police Information Centre on 1800 227 228.
The next update on this fire will be issued by 7:30pm or if the situation changes.
This image will provide an idea of the extent of the fires in the Blue Mountains area. It is to be found on the ABC website:
A closer image of the fires around Mt Victoria at 7pm 18th October : http://ow.ly/i/3swv8/original