Blaxland and Daughter was founded in February 2012 by Wendy Blaxland and her daughter Jessica Blaxland Ashby to bring exciting new theatre to audiences of all ages. Wendy and Jessica have already worked together in the theatre for over 10 years, primarily at Marian Street Theatre for Young People (MSTYP) in Sydney where Wendy was President of the management committee for over 7 years.
Jessica and Wendy are making their official debut in 2013 with Crossing!, a historical family show performed as part of the bicentenary celebrations of Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson’s 1813 crossing of the Blue Mountains. Gregory Blaxland himself is one of Wendy and Jessica’s forebears.
Through song and movement, the performers will take you on a journey through your own past – from the 40 000 years of Aboriginal crossings to the Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson crossing in 1813 to the early free settlers like Elizabeth Hawkins and her eight children. Be astounded by the true tales of terror, courage and humour as our forebears brave crossing the wild, wonderful Blue Mountains. See the genuine historical diaries and lives of these early settlers come to life in songs and movement to celebrate our unique Australian history.
Performances in the Blue Mountains began at Blaxland High School on 11th May. Further performances will be held at the following venues – with individual booking details included.
- Thursday 23rd May, 7pm Blackheath Community Centre. To book visit Chateau La Belle, 27 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath
- Friday 24th May, 7pm Blackheath Community Centre. To book visit Chateau La Belle, 27 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath
- Sunday 26th May, 2pm and 7pm Wentworth Falls Festival, Kindle Hill School. Call MCA-TIX 1300 306 776 or www.mca-tix.com.au
- Thursday 30th May, 7pm Treeview Estates, Lithgow. To book email Anne firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday 31st May, 7pm The Carrington Hotel, Katoomba. For tickets & accommodation packages call 02 4782 1111
- Saturday 1st June, 1pm and 7pm The Carrington Hotel, Katoomba. For tickets & accommodation packages call 02 4782 1111
- Thursday 6th June, 7pm The Union Theatre, Lithgow. Call MCA-TIX 1300 306 776 or www.mca-tix.com.au
- Saturday 8th June, 2pm and 7pm Brush Farm House, Ryde. Call MCA-TIX 1300 306 776 or www.mca-tix.com.au
Ticket prices between $24 and $32 including a booking fee. Discounts for concessions, families and groups. Performance 1 hour 10 minutes.
For how to book and more information please visit our website www.blaxlandanddaughter.com, visit our Facebook page ‘Crossing – the play’ or call MCA-TIX on 1300 306 776