Watch and Act – State Mine Fire (Lithgow and Blue Mountains) 19/10/13 07:22
A large bush fire is burning between Lithgow and Bilpin.
Firefighters continue to conduct back burning operations around fire in areas including Bilpin, Clarence and Dargan. Residents are advised to expect an increase in flames and smoke as a result.
The fire has burnt over a large area from near Lithgow towards Bilpin and Mountain Lagoon. The fast moving fire has burnt through more than 27,600 hectares.
Fire is burning on both sides of Mount Irvine Road.
A number of properties have been reported destroyed in this fire.
Community meetings will be held today at the following locations:
- Mountain Lagoon Rural Fire Brigade on Sams Way Mountain Lagoon at 11:00am
- Clarence Rural Fire Brigade, Bells Line of Rd., nearest cross street Petra Ave, Clarence at 2:00pm .
To prevent the Lithgow fire from impacting on the Hartley valley as the winds change back to the NW on Sunday and Monday, the RFS will be backburning the northern escarpment of the valley from Brown’s Gap Road through Clarence to Reedy Gully from this evening (Friday 18th October).
Over the next couple of days the back burn will continue up through Lawsons Long Valley.
For more information on these and the progress of the fires keep in touch through the rfs website. www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Be sure to have your Bush Fire Survival Plan up to date and know what to do if the fires impact on your area.
Watch and Act – Mount York Road, Mt Victoria Fire (Blue Mountains) 19/10/13 07:27
The fire is burning in the Grose Valley, and is approaching the Great Western Highway from the north near Berghoffers Pass.
The fire has not crossed the Great Western Highway to the west.
There is significant smoke throughout the area from Katoomba to Glenbrook and beyond.
At this stage, the Great Western Highway will remain open unless affected by fire activity.
Monitor the situation. Ensure you know what you will do if the situation changes.
Put your Bush Fire Survival Plan into action.
If you do not have a Bush Fire Survival Plan, know what you will do if the fire threatens your property.
Well prepared and actively defended homes can offer safety during the fire.
Evacuation Centres have been established at:
- Lithgow Workers Club is OPEN.
- Springwood Sports Club is OPEN.
Road Closures Due to bush fire activity there are numerous road closures. Please also be aware that road closures may occur without notice. These closures will continue to be assessed across the day, however, there is no forecast as to when these roads will reopen. Motorists are urged to avoid all bushfire affected areas. For the latest traffic information, visit www.livetraffic.com or call 132 701. Public Transport Closures For the latest public transport information visit 131500.com.au or call 131 500.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
- If you are concerned about the welfare of family and friends, please contact the Police Information Centre on 1800 227 228.
- Continue to stay up to date with the bush fire situation by checking www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- If you live in the area but are away from home, it may not be safe to return to your property.
- For health information about the impact of smoke on your health visit NSW Health.
The next update will be 9:30am or if the situation changes.